Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Portland - Part 2

This morning I will continue relating our trip to Portland....

After I posted yesterday morning, I walked across the street to the 7-Eleven I could see from our motel window -- we're on the sixth floor over the entrance. I didn't think to put a jacket on -- I had packed that in John's suitcase, but it's been so hot at home I didn't even think "cold"!! When you're used to temps being 75-80 and humid at 7:00 in the morning, 52° is downright cold!! And their was a fine misty drizzle swirling around me as I walked. I got a coffee and a bottle of grape juice -- one of my daily antioxidants -- then when I got back to the motel I stopped at the front desk and asked if my suitcase had come in. The lady said she hadn't heard that any had, but the gentleman said he'd check in the back. He came out of the back room pulling my suitcase!! Praise the Lord for His faithfulness! There was a (form) note of apology from American Airlines attached to the handle.

So now that I had my luggage I could shower and get ready for the day! John was finally able to get the car around noon, so as soon as he got back from that we headed out to find a Best Buy (I had gotten addresses online, figured out which one was closest to where we are, then plugged the addy into the Garmin. When we were flying out on Monday I tried to take some pictures from the plane, but realized when I turned the camera on that the battery was almost dead. I thought I had just charged the batteries, but either I hadn't or it wasn't holding a charge. Since that left me with only one set of batteries and tons of photo opportunities out here, I needed batteries, so we went to Best Buy and I got a set of 8 batteries and a new battery charger. This one is more portable than the one I have at home, so it isn't really money wasted.

From there we headed to drive through the Columbia Gorge -- John had gotten maps, directions, and notes on points of interest from the motel concierge. We got on the Oregon Heritage Road, stopping at interesting points along the way, enjoying the wonderful waterfalls, the beautiful views of the Columbia River and mountains. We stopped at the Char-burger for lunch -- the concierge had recommended their homemade pies. We sat at a table next to a window overlooking the river. The wind was blowing so strongly that an eagle had to struggle to fly into it. It was quite a site. Later a little wren was trying to fly to its nest next to the windows and was buffeted so much it could barely make it.

We finished eating and browsed the gift shop for a bit, then headed on east, then south to go around Mt. Hood. I had to think of how much my mom had enjoyed this area when she and her family wandered through here in the late 30's. She loved Oregon and northern California. I know she had spoken of Mt. Hood, but I don't remember her mentioning other volcanic mountains. Southern and eastern fruits could never compare to her memories of the luscious fruits in California and Oregon.

We arrived back at the motel between 6:00 and 7:00. Neither of us was hungry -- the hamburger and fries we had at 2:00 had quite satisfied us -- of course John had finished his with a piece of marionberry pie.

This morning John went out around 7:30 for his coffee and to read -- it's now 9:30 and he's not back yet. I've showered, put my makeup on, and am ready for the day. We plan to check out of the motel around 10:45, then head to the Lloyd Center -- I called Pam yesterday and she's expecting us. Rink Management, the company I work for, manages the ice at the Lloyd Center. Pam is the Assistant General Manager. I've met the GM, Don Baldwin, a couple times when he's been to Virginia, but he's on medical leave right now. He had surgery on his ankle again last week. He knew we were coming out, and we were looking forward to spending some time with him. But it will be nice to meet Pam, too. I have spoken with her and communicated via email regarding birthday mailings and new hire paperwork, so it will be nice to put a face to a name.
So, that's another day in Portland. After we leave the Lloyd Center we will head for Sunriver.

Shalom, y'all!!

No comments: